Home / Careers / A Day in the Life / Maintenance Technician

A Day in the Life of a Maintenance Technician

Learn what its like to be a Maintenance Technician with Windsor Communities

7:30 AM – 7:35 AM

It is time to head out to work. I make sure I have everything: my phone, my pager, and of course, my coffee. After locking the front door to my apartment, I have arrived at work! It is nice to watch the news in the morning, specifically the traffic report, showing all the people in their cars, buses, and trains trying to make their way to work on time. All I do is lock the front door, and I am there! How convenient it is to live on the property where I work, especially on the days when I am on call like today.

7:35 AM – 7:45 AM

I make my way to the maintenance office picking up little bits of trash and placing newspapers in front of residents’ doors where the delivery person did not quite hit their target. I bid Miss Applebee a “good morning” as she takes Mable, her dog, on her morning walk.

7:45 AM – 8:00 AM

The maintenance team has their morning meeting where the supervisor goes over the work schedule for the day. I review the work orders that came in since quitting time yesterday and start to plan my course of action. In addition to the work orders, I have been assigned to pool maintenance and apartment 107 make ready.

8:00 AM – 9:00 AM

It is too early to start on the six work orders I received at the morning meeting, so I head down to the pool. I see that the furniture has been moved around and all the leaves on top of the water. After rearranging the furniture and removing the leaves, I open the fill valve because the level is down about two inches and proceed to do the chemical analysis of the water. The supervisor calls me on the radio and wants me to check the garage door, which seems to be stuck shut. I drop what I am doing and head to the garage.

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM

I finally get the garage door fixed and the line of cars waiting to leave seem to be much happier. While I am walking back to the pool to finish, I noticed some trash lying around and two waste cans that are about to overflow onto the property. I spend the next hour or so policing the property, emptying trash cans, and raking a few leaves. I get a call from the office wanting to know when I can get to apartment 219 to fix the leaking faucet, which was one of the work orders assigned to me this morning. I tell them I am on my way. After fixing the faucet I head on back to the pool to finish what I started this morning.

11:00 AM – 12:00AM

I decide to get started on the other five work orders and plan to get started in apartment 107 after lunch. I complete the work orders easy enough except the last one in apartment 111. The initial work order said there was a loose handle on the cabinet drawer. The resident, Mrs. Connolly, happened to be home and asked about a light bulb in the bedroom that needed to be replaced. I head back to the shop to get a new light bulb and return to the apartment. After I replaced the bulb, Mrs. Connolly said they also have a very slow drain in the bathroom sink. I clear the drain and ask if there was anything else I could do for her. She said no and I begin to leave the apartment and go to lunch. Wait a minute…I still have to tighten that handle on the cabinet. Lunch will be a couple more minutes!

12:00 Noon – 12:30 PM

I walk back to my apartment for lunch. If this was Friday I would be having lunch with my supervisor. We try to do this at least once a week to socialize and to communicate about what is happening at our community. On the counter is the pot roast we plan on having for dinner tonight. It also happens to be football night, and I can’t wait to get home.

12:30 PM – 2:00 PM

Apartment 107 does not look that bad. It should not take me long to get this one done. I turn on all of the appliances and all of the lights and fill all sinks with water and begin to look around for problems. It looks like the oven light is burned out, one tub drain is a little slow, and three track lights need to be replaced. After taking notes about the parts I need, I head for the shop. The supervisor is there working on a washing machine and needs some help installing the last repair part. I start back to apartment 107 and hear that there are seven more work orders in my basket.

2:00 PM – 4:30 PM

I spend the rest of the afternoon finishing apartment 107 and making sure everything is done properly. The new resident should be very happy with the condition of their new home. I walk all around the property completing the additional work orders in my basket. I can not wait to get home to the pot roast and football game. I start getting tired and sure am glad when I finish for the day. I have a good feeling of accomplishment when the day is over.

4:30 PM – 5:00 PM

I finally get home sometime between 4:30 and 5:00. I knew dinner would be ready at 5:00. I sit down and fill my plate when the pager goes off. The answering service said apartment 213 called and is locked out of their apartment.

5:30 PM – 6:00 PM

I meet Mr. Harrington at his apartment and unlock the door for him.

6:00 PM – 7:00 PM

The pot roast was placed in the microwave so I can heat it back up. I finish dinner and begin to prepare for the football game. The football game has started. I sit on the couch and Jack, my dog, jumps up next to me. About 9:45 Jack is licking me on the face to wake me up. Maybe I will catch the score in the morning during the news. I don’t need to watch the traffic anyway. I am already at work!